Tulsi Gabbard, was first elected in 2012 as the US Representative for Hawaii's 2nd congressional district. She announced her campaign on January 11, 2019.
Birthdate: April 12, 1981
Birthplace: Leloaloa, American Samoa
Birth name: Tulsi Gabbard
Father: Mike Gabbard, Hawaii state senator
Mother: Carol (Porter) Gabbard, former Hawaii Board of Education member
Marriage: Abraham Williams (2015-present); Eduardo Tamayo (2002-2006, divorced)
Children: Amelia, Alexander
Education:Hawaii Pacific University, B.S.B.A., 2009
Military service: Hawaii Army National Guard, 2003-present, Major
Campaign website: https://www.tulsi2020.com/
- .Elected to the Hawaii State House in 2002, the youngest woman ever elected to the state legislature.
- Graduated from the Accelerated Officer Candidate School at the Alabama Military Academy. First woman in the Academy's 50-year history toearn the title of the distinguished honor graduate.
- As a member of the Hawaii National Guard, was deployed to Iraq from 2004-2005 and to Kuwait from 2008-2009.
- First American Samoan Congresswoman and first practicing Hindu member of the US Congress.
- As a teenager, co-founded Healthy Hawai'i Coalition, an environmental non-profit.
- Gabbard is an avid surfer.
Links to other candidate profiles are on our 2020 Candidates page.