John Hickenlooper is a two-term former Governor of Colorado. He announced his run for President on March 3, 2019. (For debate info, visit our home page.)
Birthdate: February 7, 1952
Birthplace: Narberth, Pennsylvania
Birth name: John Wright Hickenlooper Jr.
Father: John Hickenlooper Sr., a steel mill executive
Mother: Anne (Morris) MacDonald
Marriages: Robin Pringle (2016-present); Helen Thorpe (divorced)
Children: with Helen Thorpe: Teddy
Education:Wesleyan University, B.A., 1974; Wesleyan University, M.A., 1980
Campaign website: https://www.hickenlooper.com
- Hickenlooper worked as a geologist in Colorado for Buckhorn Petroleum from 1981 to 1986.
- In 1988, Hickenlooper and five business partners opened the Wynkoop Brewing Company, Colorado's first brewpub after raising startup funds from dozens of friends and family along with a Denver economic development office loan. In 2007, Hickenlooper sells his stake in Wynkoop Brewing and its associated restaurants to his business managers and employees.
- Served as mayor of Denver, Colorado for two terms from 2003 to 2011.
- Elected Governor of Colorado 2010 and reelected in 2014, could not run again in 2018 as Colorado limits Governers to two terms in office.
- In 2016, Hickenlooper, LinkedIn co‐founder Allen Blue and Zoe Baird, CEO of the Markle Foundation, launched Skillful, an online service to help people without degrees find skill-based jobs..
Links to other candidate profiles are on our 2020 Candidates page.