Wayne Messam is the Mayor of the city of Miramar, Florida. He announced his run for President on March 3, 2019. (For debate info, visit our home page.)
Birthdate: June 7, 1974
Birthplace: South Bay, Florida
Birth name: Wayne Martin Messam
Father: Hubert Messam, migrant worker and farm mechanic.
Mother: Delsey Messam, cook and housekeeper.
Marriage: Angela Messam
Children: Wayne II and twin daughters Kayla and Kyla
Education: Florida State University, BS, 1997
Campaign website: https://wayneforusa.com/
- Messam attended Florida State University, where he played as a wide receiver for the Florida State Seminoles from 1993 through 1996, and was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in 1997.
- He and his wife, Angela, founded Messam Construction, a general contracting company that specializes in energy-efficient projects.
- Messam was first elected to the Miramar (Florida) City Commission in 2011.
- In 2015, Messam was elected Mayor of Miramar.
- Messam serves as president of the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials.
- Messam describes himself as the son of immigrants (from Jamaica) who came to the US to pursue their American Dream, hoping that their children would not have to suffer as they had.
Links to other candidate profiles are on our 2020 Candidates page.